May 18, 2014

inFAMOUS Second Son

Date played: May 17th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I made good progress by liberating two more sections of the city by completing all the little side quests and collecting the blast shards. I then played a couple of story missions which ended up granting me a new power, neon. It starts with Delsin's brother saying that there was a conduit incident and that cops are investigating. I found the crime scene and discovered a drug dealer that had been mutilated and left to rot on a wall, pinned by amazing looking neon streaks. Shortly after, a second victim was discovered in a different area. This time I had to fight a bunch of goons to get there, then I was able to examine the crime scene, another dealer pinned by neon.

To investigate, the game asked me to take photos of the different crimes in a weird mini-game. That's when we discovered the culprit hiding in a neon sign nearby, sniping at Delsin. I gave chase but the person ran very fast across the city, leaving neon streaks in their wake. I couldn't keep up and went back to investigate their hiding spot in the neon sign. I soon discovered that the neon sniper was a woman with an obsession with a man named Brent. After following a few clues, I managed to find her and touch her, which granted Delsin neon powers.

Delsin learns how to use neon powers in a struggle with Fetch
I then had to fight her with my new abilities. The girl, Fetch, fights by shooting bolts of neon and running around a small area. I absorbed the nearby neon signs to weaken her, then fought her with the same neon bolts. It turns out, she is an ex-junkie who killed her boyfriend during an argument over drugs. She wants to kill all drug dealers so that no one else suffers as she did. Delsin convinces her to use her powers for good, so they will work together, at least for now.

The neon powers are cool. Besides looking incredible, the neon bolts hit hard and have long range. There's also a sprint up walls ability which is really handy for navigating the city quickly. I'm about to start unlocking more abilities for this new power. The only thing that is kind of annoying is that Delsin can only have one power active at a time, which means if I want to use smoke powers again, I need to find a smoke source, and vice versa.