May 25, 2014

Child of Light

Date played: May 24th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I made good progress in Child of Light. I completed the woods area by beating a giant guarding the exit to the next area. That's when I discovered a village seemingly populated by crows, none of which could talk of course. There was only a 13 year old, heavily bearded dwarf crying in a corner. He explained that his fellow villagers had been transformed into the crows I saw earlier. It seemed like the only way to help was to explore a nearby well and kill the monster who had put the spell on the village.

Finn, the bearded dwarf, joins our party to bring much needed elemental magic spells. While he's very weak physically, he can pack a punch with his sorcery. For the first time, it became clear that there are 5 elements at play in this game. Light, Dark, Water, Fire and Earth. Enemies are weak or resistant to certain elements and even weapons can be imbued with elemental properties. In this dungeon, I fought many fire creatures and other new enemies. The mechanic that allows different party members to participate in a battle is excellent. Basically, any time it's a character's turn, I can choose to swap them out on the fly and I don't even lose a turn. This allows for a great amount of additional tactical manoeuvring.

Snakes of death!
After lots of exploring, item gathering and puzzle solving in the well, I reached the boss of the dungeon, a giant three headed snake monster where each head represents earth, fire and water. It was a gruelling battle and demanded precise timing, good party member swapping and patience. I took the beast down and brought the crows back to their normal, dwarfish forms.

Next, I reached the plains to the West, filled with rocky cliffs and waterfalls, as well as a bunch of new monsters, including some fucking deadly boulder dudes... Amazingly and inexplicably, Aurora found her sister Norah along the way, which of course, joined our party. She seems to have a focus on buffing and debuffing spells, but still packs a punch with her sword. I can't wait to see what lies around the next corner.