May 26, 2014

Child of Light

Date played: May 25th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I played through a good chunk today. I found another city, this one run by some trading mice. Their village is built on top of a giant that brings their village to different areas to facilitate trade. However, the giant is sick and no longer able to travel. On top of that, the mice have lost the combination to their vault lock. Before heading into the dungeon to save the giant and open the vault, I took part in a fun little trading mission. I traded an apple to a scholar for a shovel, then the shovel to a grave-digger for a lantern and finally, the lantern to a miner for some gold. Robert joined the party too, an archer mouse with a crush on a snobby lady.

Giant spiders!
The dungeon was set inside the giant, where I had to rid the place of spiders to cure the giant. I also found the vault, solved a short puzzle and opened it up for the mice. Robert proved to be pretty useful overall as he's a strong physical attacker and has a spell to slow down enemies. I've found that I end up using Aurora in all battles, and swap out others as needed. After many difficult fights with the local spiders, I found the giant one that ruled the area and beat the shit out of her. I had to use a few potions along the way, but in the end, victory was ours.

I was rewarded with a free ride to the temple of the moon, high up in the sky. Again, I explored a large area, building up EXP, finding treasure and of course, another boss. This one was a giant gryphon that punished me for interrupting it, so I had to play it smart. Aurora dealt most of the damage with her starlight spells, Rubella kept us alive and Robert slowed him down. We found Rubella's brother along the way, Tristis, who joined our party. Honestly, his spell set doesn't seem super useful, but I'll have to give him a shot in battle to see how he does. We reached the moon temple.

Then, out of the blue, BETRAYAL! I don't want to spoil the game too much, but much is revealed about Aurora's family and the reason for her mother's death, as well as father's dying sickness. Aurora ended up alone in a cage before being rescued by an honorable guard. He joined the little two person party and we must now escape the area together. He seems to act as a tank of sorts, with high defense and a taunt ability, straight out of an MMO.