May 23, 2014

inFAMOUS Second Son

Date played: May 22nd and 23rd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Second Son!

I fucking loved this game, as I loved the first two games in the series. I played quite a bit, starting with a mission where I had to chase down helicopters carrying cargo, stand on their cargo and detach it. Then I found out that Hank, the smoke conduit I stole my first power from, was still alive. I managed to catch up to him and talk him into helping me break into Augustine's D.U.P island and save my two conduit friends who had been kidnapped by the bitch.

I finished off all the district captures and found that I had a lot more blast shards than I needed to fully upgrade all my current skills... Was there a fourth power waiting for me?

Delsin and his brother met with Hank to finalize the plan. Hank figured out a way to get inside Augustine's island using the large air vents on the outside. We swooped in and started wrecking havoc on the place. That's when the two-faced motherfucker betrayed me and gave me away to Augustine. Reggie, Delsin's brother, was very suspicious of Hank before the raid and took precautions. He showed up with a rocket launcher and helped me escape Augustine's restraints. However, she managed to stuff him in concrete and he fell to his death...

Delsin became very angry right then and attacked the murderer head on using his smoke powers. Augustine is powerful, but Delsin was stronger. I held back her concrete rock throwing attacks and other dangerous moves by shooting her with smoke missiles, then video swords. Eventually, I had built up enough power to unleash the smoke power's screen clearing karmic attack and destroyed the building...but Augustine got away.

There was an interlude before the end where Delsin chases Hank around the city, only to discover that he was fooled by Augustine's promises and was fleeing in a boat with his daughter. Poor bastard.

It was time to finish the D.U.P once and for all. I gathered my friends, Fetch and Eugene, and attacked the D.U.P stronghold head on. It was a rough climb up the well defended skyscraper, but the combined powers of smoke, neon and video were enough to take all the guards out and reach the top, where I confronted Augustine for the last time. She revealed her intentions and while she seemed to have a genuine interest in the well being of the conduits, she was using awful methods to achieve her goals. Delsin had enough and provoked her into battle. The first phase was similar to the fight I had with her on the island and when I won, Delsin managed to finally touch her and learn concrete power. Unfortunately, there were no core relays nearby, so he was helpless and vulnerable without any real abilities to use the power with. Augustine took the golden opportunity to attack once more.

Augustine's badass concrete monster form
This phase was one of the coolest final boss battles in recent memory! Augustine used her powers to become a sort of gigantic concrete monster, morphing into different shapes to attack Delsin. Eugene used his video power to find core relays around the city and bring them back to Delsin so he could learn abilities on the fly. This takes time however, so most of this battle was about avoiding attacks until Eugene brought back enough relays...

The concrete powers are really cool. There's a run ability that turns the user into a Juggernaut-style, armored beast. There's an amazing hover that can sustain it's power indefinitely. There's a machine-gun sort of attack that hits pretty damn hard and finally, an incredible barrage attack that hits real hard. I fought the concrete monster with these new abilities until the motherfucker was down, and exposed her awful practices to the world.

The D.U.P doesn't really exist anymore, conduits are celebrated instead of feared and Delsin went back home to save his friends, but losing his dear brother along the way. It was a great story and I really enjoyed all the characters and their fantastic acting and animation.

While the game was finished, I still played more, as there was some free DLC added to the game. It turns out it was the rest of the ARG game I had started earlier. Most of it is played in a browser and has little to do inside the game outside of a few minor battles and investigations. It was really cool though and I had fun with the challenging, cerebral puzzles, many of which required extensive use of Notepad and MsPaint... The side story included was cool too and I scored a nice extra outfit for Delsin at the end.

Second Son was an amazing experience, an excellent graphical showcase for the Playstation 4 and a mechanically sound game. I'm very happy to have played it.