May 20, 2014

Alpha Centauri

Date played: May 20th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

Poof!

An afternoon lost to another Sid Meier game... just like that.

Since the recent announcement of Civilization Beyond Earth, I really felt like playing Alpha Centauri again, but that meant I would have to relearn it from scratch since it's been so long since I played. I thought I would give it a quick hour today, but it turned into a huge 5 hour chunk where I didn't do anything else.

This game is ridiculously complex...
The game is incredibly complex... I mean, it's fucking hardcore. I was playing on the easiest setting, which is probably why no one declared war, and I still struggled with drone riots, bad exapansion plans, alien barbarians and city management problems. I built a scientific colony, but still had a commanding lead in economy and population. If my neighbours to the south had decided to attack though, I would have been caught short-handed and would have struggled to survive. I really like this game, but it's really hard to learn. I can't wait for Beyond Earth as it will bring to Alpha Centauri the ease of access found in Civ V...at least I hope so.