January 31, 2013

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Esther joined us!
Date played: January 30th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

After killing the nightmare haunting the girl's father, he went back home and convinced his daughter to go outside a bit more, which in turn opened up Esther's heart in Al Mamoon. I went back to see them and of course, the father is now ready to help and after a bit of enthusiasm juice, Esther wants to join me in fighting Shadar. I learned a bunch of new spells from the father and now have a second party member as well as a new familiar. We are now headed to a temple of trials to meet a great sage that can teach me more.

I took the opportunity to do some side quests. I went back to Golden Grove to deliver a lunch to a dude from his wife. The other side quests were all about fighting monsters. Esther's familiar is chubby bird magician thing. Having a new party member changes things up in combat a lot... I can switch between characters at will and I now have a tactics option in combat to set how the other person behaves. For example, set to heal, backup, attack, defend, etc. I gave Esther the monkey familiar since it's pretty strong and I figure I could do some heavy damage by having two strong familiars out at the same time. It works really well and hits like a truck.