January 3, 2013

Assassin's Creed 3

Date played: January 1st and 2nd
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 9/10

I love New York! I took my first steps in New York City and it was a rough fucking start. I went there to warn others of the plot to assassinate George Washington only to have the whole thing pinned on me! I spent some time in prison, talking to other prisoners, eventually learning of another inmate's plan for escape. I convinced him to let me join and he told me to get thrown in the "isolation" room of the prison so I could swap a fake key with the warden's real key. I forget the details but in the end, I was on my way to the gallows to get hung in public. Thankfully, Achilles and my fellow assassins were there to help. I was freed, ran the hell away and found the man who was really plotting on killing Washington. Needless to say, I stuck a blade through him.

The game then opened up quite a bit. It is winter again and I now have NYC to explore. It's smaller than I thought it would be but it's still a full city. I spent the rest of my time perching myself on a few viewpoints as well as gathering collectibles like chests, almanac pages and trinkets. I also did a few liberation missions, assassination missions and courier missions. NYC is nice, it's a bit denser than Boston and a bit rougher around the edges. The architecture is also different, it's nice to be able to climb a few new structures.

I also played a whole lot of naval missions and they are definitely one of the better parts of this game. I really like the mechanics of aiming the cannons and firing the smaller gun. I sunk my first Man-O-War, then I sunk some more. What's cool about those fights is that I had to immobilize them by shooting different ammo at their masts. It's really fucking cool... When there is a storm at the same time, it's totally epic.