January 1, 2013

Assassin's Creed 3

Date played: December 30th and 31st
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 8/10

Whew, a lot went on in the last two days of AC3! I started by being a key element to the Boston Tea Party, an event where citizens raided three British trading ships and threw all it's tea off board to make a political statement. As Connor, that meant throwing boxes of tea out of the ship and killing any enemies that made their way onto the ships.

I also rode with Paul Revere, an important name in American history. I'm not the most knowledgeable about the American revolution but I had heard of Paul Revere's Midnight Ride before. Connor ends up being the chauffeur for Mr. Revere as he warned colonists of the imminent war.

Paul Revere's Midnight Ride
Then war happened.

One of the missions had Connor run through a real ass battlefield to reach his target. It was awesome, going through the cannon shots, hiding behind rocks and watching as tons of people are getting blown to bits. Part of this mission had me infiltrate two ships off the shore who were offering cannon fire support and disable them. Eventually, I killed my second target and crossed off another Templar name from my list.

I also played a few more naval missions which are still as fun as ever. There's the matter of Peg Leg as well. Peg Leg is a pirate that hangs out on the Homestead and has been giving me cool missions as a reward for returning his trinkets. I spent a lot of time getting all the trinkets I could and have completed 3 out of 4 missions for him. The last one was a dangerous trek through a ship that wrecked in the ice near Labrador that was all about the platforming.

I then played a few side missions in the homestead including getting wild flowers for the very French Norris who is courting a lady. I also helped a pregnant woman and her husband get medical attention from a doctor in Boston. All these little missions help build up the homestead and while it seems a bit pointless, it's really fun.

I was surprised at all the bad reviews for this game and honestly, I don't really see what people were on about... This game isn't the best thing ever, but it's certainly fun, well made and interesting.