January 9, 2013

Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation

Date played: January 8th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 7/10

I played through sequence 4 which turned out to be one of the coolest sections of the game so far. Aveline follows her investigation all the way to Mexico! I started by pretending to be a slave and getting on board the ship to Mexico led by De Ferrer, a sinister templar. At the site, I investigated a little bit and quickly found out that there is something important being dug up in some caverns. I also found out that Aveline's mother seems to be at the site for unknown reasons.
Aveline fights near Chichen Itza ruins

The area was pretty small but it was refreshing to see some new scenery and climb some old ruins. Eventually, I found myself in a cave system where I had to go through some really fun platforming. Unfortunately, the controls betrayed me a few times but it was still fun to play. At the end of the cave was a weird machine and an odd puzzle. The game turned into one of those little wooden puzzles with a marble in it where you have to twist and turn the device to get the marble into a hole. Obviously, this was all motion controlled and worked better than I expected. What didn't work as well were the stupid "hold the Vita to a light source" puzzles. While in theory, this stuff is cool, in practice, it seemed really buggy.

Either way, I rolled the ball to the middle and found a disc that must be from the weird alien race that was revealed in AC2. Then De Ferrer showed up. I stabbed his ass. Oh yeah and I found a whip that can be used as a weapon. The next sequence takes place a few years later, I can't wait to see what happens.