January 13, 2013

GTA IV: The Lost and Damned

Date played: January 13th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 7/10

With AC3 completed and GTA V coming soon, I thought it would be a good time to start the GTA IV episodes that I got for 5$ during the Steam holiday sale. It's been a while since I've played a GTA game and it's weird problems were more obvious than I expected. The cars and bikes have fun, but difficult to handle physics. The shooting sucks and the cover system isn't helping much.

The Lost ride
Still, there's a reason GTA is a series I always come back to. I think it's the great characters and stories. The Lost and Damned is a story about a tough motorcycle gang and it's vice president, Johnny Klebitz. The game starts with the crew going to pick up it's leader, Billy, after he is released from jail. It's quickly made clear that he and Johnny have a different view of how the Lost should be run.

I played through half a dozen missions or so. There's some good variety in the missions so far and there are a ton of cool original characters to talk to. I stole some bikes, I shot hundred of enemy gang bikers already and even broke a bus full of criminals out of jail. Johnny has a weird, drug-addicted girlfriend and an odd relationship with a doorman. There's even a scene where the mission giver is buck naked, and yes, we see his penis.

The game looks great on my PC but I have to run it in 720p to get a smooth framerate. I got killed a lot in two missions, mostly because of the weird controls. It's fun though and I'm excited to see where the story goes.