January 25, 2013

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Date played: January 24th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finally took my nose of the Wizard's guide long enough to actually play the game. I found a wand and opened a portal to the other world.We got into combat right away and since I had played the demo, I already knew the basics. Drippy wanted us to get to the city of Ding Dong Dell but the guard at the gate is brokenhearted. Naturally, we sent out on a quest to mend his broken heart and that meant talking to a large tree in Deep Dark Wood. He showed me how to summon a familiar from my heart, in my case, a mite. The thing looks a lot like Ponyo (another Miyazaki character) when she is in half human form. It's really similar to how Pokemon works actually, however, the creature and Oliver share HP and MP.
First boss!

This was my first real dungeon and understandably, it was pretty easy and linear. I sent out my mite to fight most of the time. The combat mechanics are really cool. It's almost like a mix of Star Ocean, Pokemon and MMO-type cooldowns. So far, the system works, we'll have to wait an see what happens when I meet stronger monsters and have more dudes in my party. I fought the guardian of the forest and since I had more time to practice, it was a lot easier to win. I was switching between my familiar and Oliver on the fly, casting spells, attacking him and defending when required. That's pretty much where I stopped playing.