January 10, 2013

Mario Tennis Open

DK's early tennis career
Date played: January 10th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played some Mario Tennis Open with my buddy over our lunch break today. I don't own the game but thankfully, it offers a download play mode. We played two matches, the first had him playing as Mario and myself as Donkey Kong. Even though I had never played, I won! The second game was Mii vs Mii and again, I won!

The game plays really well because it's very responsive and is simple. I mean, it is still tennis. There are about six different types of shots; lobs, straights, top spins, slices and two others that I forget. Of course, positioning is always important in tennis games but in this one, it's even more important as there are colored circles that appear on the court. Depending on their colors, hitting the ball from within the circle creates a special shot type that has a better chance of scoring. For example, the special slice has a monster curve to it, confusing the other player easily. I also played through a single player tournament later as my friend lent me the cart for a bit. It was cool but nowhere as fun as playing with a real person.