January 21, 2013

GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony

Date played: January 20th and 21st
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

Boy, after playing Lost and Damned, The Ballad of Gay Tony is absolutely refreshing. It's colorful, it's happier, it's clean and the characters are way more interesting. Luis is the main character, an ex-con who is trying to have a clean life as a business man. This being a GTA game, that all goes to shit real quick. He works for Gay Tony, a night club manager.

I played quite a bit and as usual, there are a ton of cool missions to play. This time they are more varied and exciting though. For example, I've helped my two little drug dealer buddies get a big stash from boats. I helped my own little mama take care of her loan shark problems. I helped Gay Tony keep his clubs clean and out of trouble. I met Yusuf, a weird dude obsessed with getting stuff he can't buy, such as an attack helicopter and an armoured personnel carrier. I fucking parachuted off the tallest building in Liberty City after throwing a gangster off it WITHOUT a parachute. I met Brucie's brother, a midget asshole. I stole cars for him, I even took part in a triathlon race with parachutes, boats and cars. I blew up a crane, a train and a plane during the same mission. Long story short, this game is fun as fuck!

Luis enjoys a hotdog in front of the museum
The new weapons help things a lot too as they are more powerful and less frustrating to use. The P90 machine gun is powerful, the explosive round shotgun can take out helicopters in a few shots and the C4 is powerful and easy to use. This is a much better game than Lost and Damned, at least so far.