August 24, 2012

Wipeout 2048

Date played: August 23rd
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 9/10

Sad times ladies and gentlemen. After tons of great games, Studio Liverpool, formerly Psygnosis, has closed it's doors. They are responsible for every single Wipeout game ever made, easily one of my top three racing franchises in history. It's sad when such a talented team gets shut down and we see stuff like crappy free to play MMO's thriving. I can say that I have purchased every single Wipeout game with the exception of the original so I feel like I've done my part but I just can't believe I won't have a real Wipeout game on PS4 or a sequel on Vita. It's rare that I care about studios closing but this one, as Bizarre Creations did a few years ago, hit close to the heart.

I played a few events in 2048 in loving memory of this amazing game series. I raced, fought and air braked my way to victory. I got some Elite passes for the most part but hit a wall in one of the fighting events. I think it was because of the high point requirement and the lack of quake weapons but I just couldn't manage to get Elite within the time limit. To Studio Liverpool and the amazing Wipeout franchise.