August 20, 2012

Sound Shapes

Date played: August 20th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 8/10

I hear the famous Toronto DJ did motion capture for the game. :-)
I finished the campaign in Sound Shapes. That is not to say that I've completed the game though...more on that in a bit. To finish the game, I played through the remaining Deadmau5 levels, all of which were really cool. The music fits and the level design was great. Then I finished the last two Beck levels and while the music wasn't as amazing as Cities, it was still really fun and unique. The last level had some really tough parts to it.

It wasn't really anything compared to what came next though. I unlocked Death mode and Beat mode. I haven't tried Beat yet but Death is Super Meat Boy like in many ways. Here's the recipe:

-one screen
-a ruthless timer
-a number of notes to gather
-instant respawns

This may sound simple, and it is, but it's incredibly difficult. Again, Super Meat Boy difficult. I managed to make my way through the first four levels, essentially the first album but it was demanding. I consider myself a pretty good gamer but wow, this stuff is hardcore. It's awfully addicting too since the respawn time is quick and it's clear that the goal is achievable. I liked it and got my first four trophies in the game for my efforts.