August 6, 2012

Tales of the Abyss

Date played: August 6th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 6/10

I've never played a Tales game before but I've been wanting to play a simple and relaxing RPG for a while now and this series seems to fit the bill. I wouldn't play this on my console though, it's the kind of thing I will play in the bed or something so I got Tales of the Abyss on 3DS, a port from the PS2. I only played about an hour of it but it seems pretty good so far.
This is like a giant JRPG stereotype
The game starts off kind of slow, with the hero, Luke, chilling in his huge royal mansion. I think he's a prince or something. The story is kind of non-sense but I know there's a war between two empires and that Luke is confined to the mansion for his protection. I completed some basic tutorials but was interrupted by some chick and we got teleported (What?) to a field in the other empire.

I don't get it but now Luke and the lady are trying to go back home. The combat is interesting because it's real time and in 2D. There's blocking, sword attacks and special attacks known as Artes. It's also pretty cool that different moves can be used by pressing a different direction on the analog stick. Anyway, this is a typical JRPG that should be simple enough to just relax and play without really paying too much attention.