August 1, 2012

Uncharted Golden Abyss

Date played: August 1st
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished Uncharted Golden Abyss today. Wow, what a game! I was a bit lukewarm to it at first but it really picks up in the second half of the game. Enemies are stronger, weapons are bigger and the story starts to get more interesting. The last third of the game is all about Drake, Sully and Chase exploring some South American ruins to find the city of gold, AKA, The Golden Abyss.

Being an Uncharted game, you just know they are going to find it, blow it up and run away while evading crumbling...things. That's just what happens here and it's really well done. The only gripe I have is that the two boss fights feel just like the ending of the first game, full of quick time events. The difference is that this time, it's all touch screen based and a bit too lengthy for it's own good. Dante is a double crossing motherfucker who gets what was coming to him and Guerro, the general, goes down by Drake's hand, literally from a punch! Oh yeah and of course, Drake gets the girl. He's like James Bond for that.

GRRRRRR! You're going down Guerro, let me just touch you repeatedly.
Either way, this was an amazing game that I feel was even better than Uncharted 3. Uncharted 2 still reigns as king of the franchise of course but Golden Abyss was truly a great game. I didn't use many of the features that they used to pimp the Vita, stuff like touch climbing and back touch rope groping so it felt a lot more like a normal game to me and that's great. Even the tilt aiming was actually pretty useful for fine tuning my shots at times. I'm glad I played it and hope more Uncharted comes to the powerful handheld.