August 9, 2012

Sound Shapes

Date played: August 8th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 10/10

Holy shit. Jonathan Mak is a genius. His first console game, Everyday Shooter, has been one of my favorite arcade type games on PS3 and Sound Shapes is his latest game. Sound Shapes is a 2D platformer with a musical twist. Everything in the game makes sound to the beat of the music. It's really hard to describe in text but every jump, slide, enemy and platform is part of the music. This turns a pretty basic platformer into a musical experience!

The thing that holds it all together is the quality of the music though. There's music from Jim Guthie, Deadmau5, Beck and a couple of others. It's also really cool that buying the game once gets you both the PS3 and Vita versions. More people need to do that, seriously, it's great. I've played through the first album (world) and started a bit of the second one, all of which was excellent. The campaign mode is great but I think that playing other people's levels will be the meat of the game. Oh yeah, did I mention? You can make your own levels/music and share it! It's like Little Big Planet. I can't wait to play more of this game, bobbing my head to the beat of the music penetrating my eardrums.