August 19, 2012

New Super Mario Bros 2

Date played: August 19th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 10/10

Yay! A new Mario game came out! This is the first full game that Nintendo puts out digitally on the eShop that is also available at retail. I decided to buy a digital copy because it saved me time but more importantly, I don't have to take out the current game cart to play it. Either way, I played through the first world and the first half of the second. The reviews were fairly negative so far but honestly, I'm impressed.

The most important part, the controls, are spot on. Everything feels right. The levels are interesting and there's a bunch of new stuff to play with. The big thing about this one is the focus on collecting coins. EVERYTHING revolves around collecting coins. The game keeps track of the total amount of coins collected and I'm already sitting at more than 10 000...insane. There's a bunch of ways to collect coins like a coin hat that spits out coins as you run, a coin flower that turns bricks into coins and even golden rings that turns koopas into insane coin generating killing machines. It actually changes how the game feels a bit which is nice.
COINS COINS COINS! GIVE ME MY FUCKING COINS MOTHERFUCKER!

The best new feature as to be the secret cannon level I unlocked (through an alternate exit yay!). Basically, it turns the game into Cannabalt or something similar in that Mario gets shot out of a cannon and starts running through the level automatically. It was real nice, sort of like those treasure chest levels in Rayman Origins. I also unlocked a new secret world, Mushroom world, but I haven't started it yet. I should also mention that the 3D in this game is really weird. It's totally subdued and is a very slight effect. It becomes obvious when turning off the 3D that the biggest effect is actually on the back grounds. When 3D is on, there is depth of field while there isn't in 2D. Anyway, I like it and the game is lots of fun.