December 30, 2011

Battlefield 3

Date played: December 29th
Platform: PS3
Time played: 90 minutes
Session fun rating: 9/10

I had fun with Battlefield 3 today. In fact, I started my session with a few matches of Team Deathmatch which I selected by accident. It turns out it's actually kind of fun but it has problems. While DICE wisely chose to use small maps for this stuff, they also didn't really use a good method for spawning. It happened more than once that I spawned either in front of an enemy who then shot me to pieces or behind an enemy, which I shot to pieces.

It's funny because it's true!
Nevertheless, it was still fun. At first I was getting killed a lot but I was playing on maps I had never played on before, one of them a shipping yard/dock. Once I understood the map layout a little better, I quickly realized that it was very small and that I would have to set up shop somewhere to have any kind of success as a support class. I also discovered that this game has REAL suppressing fire. In fact, in one case where our team was trying to push through a choke point, I started firing lots of bullets in the general direction of the enemies and to my surprise, it allowed our team to move forward.

The trick is that there is a built in mechanic for suppressing fire that blurs the enemy's vision if bullets fly too close to them. I even got a few kills out of it! It was truly an amazing moment to have my giant machine gun spitting round after round and watching my team benefit from that. I love this game.

I also played a few matches of Conquest and I've been on top of the leader board a lot. The secret is that I wasn't getting that many kills, I was just smart with my movement and was able to stealth capture many flags as well as defend them. Lots of points up for grabs when capturing flags...