December 28, 2011

Nostalgia galore!

Date played: December 25th
Platform: N64, Dreamcast
Time played: 60 minutes
Session fun rating: 10/10

I ordered a bunch of old games for 5$ each off Ebay and received them just in time for Christmas! The oldest of my brothers came over to visit and we spent some time trying some of the new games out.

Gurl, you UGLY!
Top Gear Rally: This is a game that we rented as teenagers almost every weekend for the N64. There weren't a lot of rally games on that console and being huge rally fans, we loved Top Gear Rally. Unfortunately, it's not a very good game by any means. While the handling has a cool unique feel, the graphics are garbage, there aren't many tracks or cars and the music sucks balls. We played split-screen for a bit and one single player race. This game is still fun but very old.

Multi-Racing Championship: Another N64 rally racing game but this time, it has a more arcade feel and faster races. Again we played split-screen and it was pretty fum but my car was MUCH faster than my brother's... It looks better than Top Gear but the handling isn't as enjoyable.

Dark Rift: Here is a shitty N64 fighting game, back when polygons were a novelty. This is another game we rented a lot but it does not really hold up at all. It's a very simple game with seemingly no real mechanics outside of three attack buttons, grabs and blocks. We played a few fights in VS and my girlfriend even came in to play and kicked my ass.

Wipeout 64: I never actually played this before but I've been a huge Wipeout fan and wanted to see how this one plays. After playing a few races in three player mode and while it looks bad, has a lot of fog and bad music, it plays pretty good and is quite fun.

Diddy Kong Racing: This is another N64 classic from my teenage years. Me and my four brothers played dozens and dozens of hours of this game. I played three player races with my bro and girlfriend. It turns out I suck in the kart but rock in the hovercraft and do well in the airplane. My brother won the most races though.

Re-Volt: This is a game I played exclusively on PC and only at a specific friend's house. It's another racing game but this time it features RC cars. I got the Dreamcast version and it plays quite well still. Again, we played split-screen mode and enjoyed our time with the game.