December 22, 2011

Battlefield 3

Date played: December 21st
Platform: PS3
Time played: 50 minutes
Session fun rating: 4/10

Well my friend recently got a PS3 and when he asked for games we could play together, I suggested Battlefield 3. What I didn't think of is that this guy is a complete noob when it comes to console gaming. He's been out of it for a long time, playing mostly MMO's on PC Mac. First, he had to download a huge patch. Then, he had to figure out how to read messages sent in PSN, we had to text each other to figure that one out. Then he had to activate his online pass, which he didn't even know existed. Finally, we managed to get in a squad together. Unfortunately, the first game we played we were put on opposing teams (WTF EA...).
This sums up my experience last night

In my case, it was great. I decimated the other team in one of my best games ever played with a beautiful 22-4 score. On my friend's end, he got killed by me multiple times and didn't get a single kill the entire match. While that may sound bad, don't forget that this guy has only played MMO's for the last few years.

The next game, we got a Karkand map pack match and he didn't have the maps. It took me five minutes before I realized I had to back out and try again. The third time, he was STILL on the opposing team but this team, his PS3 locked up after a few minutes.  I am not impressed with EA and wish they had guys from Bungie working on their online stuff. This is unacceptable. I want to play with my friend and the matchmaking is too dumb to figure out he doesn't have the maps and that we wanted to play together.