December 19, 2011

Mario Kart 7

Date played: December 17th,18th and 19th
Platform: 3DS
Time played: 90 minutes
Session fun rating: 7/10

Well, I'm grinding along in the single player campaign in short bursts. I managed to win all the 100cc cups and have won six of the eight 150cc cups. 150cc has been a little bit tougher, I've been finishing in second place and third place at times but still managed to win the cups.  I did have to retry a full cup once and it was due to bad luck getting hit with items at the end of the race.  I literally dropped from first place to sixth with the finish line in sight.  It was frustrating but it will be over soon and I can finally start playing online.

Shy Guy fits right in with the old Mario Kart crew
The reason I haven't yet is because I want to unlock all the characters and as many kart parts as possible before doing so. I have unlocked five characters so far.  Shy Guy, Wario, Wriggler (the supid caterpillar that turns red when angry), Daisy, Queen B (the big bee from Mario Galaxy) and Rosalina. I like playing with larger characters so Wario and Queen B have been pretty good for me but I still stick with Donkey Kong as he's not annoying and is manly.

I also tried the local multiplayer with my friend from work using download play. It works surprisingly well and even offers all the tracks in the game. The only limitation seems to be the characters and kart parts available. He was stuck using Shy Guy with a standard kart. I won of course, knowing the courses and mechanics better than my friend but during the second half of our GP, he was sticking pretty close to me and was competitive. He says he'll get the game for Christmas so maybe we'll play some more after that!