November 30, 2015

Fallout 4

Date played: November 29th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

Fallout 4 is such a huge game... I love every little bit of it.

I played a lot again last night, starting with Marowski's chem lab. It turns out, it was a secret door on top of the fish packing place. It was pretty boring up there though, I only found a few guys in hazmat suits and some chems.

I decided to continue south to meet with the Minutemen who had been standing by to retake the Castle, also known as Fort Independence. The place is a real fortress, though it's walls have seen better days. It was completely infested with mirelurks, so we proceeded to kill them all. That's when a gigantic mirelurk queen showed up and attacked us! She wasn't easy, but I killed her with my hunting rifle and some grenades. Fort Independence is now one of my settlements. I kind of regret building in Sanctuary, since this place is so fucking cool, but I guess I could move my stuff one day. It's not that complicated, but quite time consuming.

The Minutemen have a nice big radio tower and they started broadcasting quest locations. The first led me to a small settlement that was run by robots. Supervisor White, a robot with an adorable British accent, asked my help in repairing a nearby water treatment plant. The place was flooded, and guarded by Super Mutants. Mirelurks ran amok inside. I had to work my way deeper into the plant by activating water pumps that drained out the area and gave me access to new sectors. In the end, I was able to turn the treatment plant back, providing clean water to the settlement.
I describe the events of the kidnapping to Valentine
I went back to Diamond City and met with Valentine again to continue the investigation. After describing the kidnapper, Valentine was convinced that the man responsible was named Kellogg, a high ranking soldier in the Institute. We broke into his old house in Diamond City and gathered some clues, including some special cigars. Dogmeat, my loyal companion, sniffed at them and followed their scent through the wasteland. After a long trek together, we reached a small fort that served as Kellogg's headquarters. Inside, I fought an real army of synths, some of them very powerful.

My laser pistol was my main weapon here, as it deals good damage against these metal creatures. I picked up a few armor upgrades along the way too, including some synth armor. Finally, after a series of battles and puzzles, I reached Kellogg and confronted him in person. It seems that Shawn is "a bit older" now, though it's not really clear how old. Kellogg wouldn't give me any info on the Institute though, so I fought him and killed him, along with his synthetic henchmen.

He dropped an absolutely amazing .44 pistol, Kellogg's Pistol. Combined with my gunslinger and luck perks, I'm starting to become a real crit machine. I'm now also able to bank crits for awesome burst damage potential...