November 3, 2015

Xeodrifter

Date played: November 2nd
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 6/10

Xeodrifter is another game I got for free with PS+. It's a cute little metroidvania game where an astronaut's ship gets damaged and he finds himself in a solar system with 4 planets. Each planet hides it's share of monsters and secrets, but more importantly, they also hide components that can repair the ship.

All 4 planets are available at the start of the game, but due to the hero's limited abilities, there's only one that can be really explored. Armed with a small pistol, the adventurer explores the green planet, fights a few monsters and eventually reaches a boss room. The boss is a large insect-like creature that spits out projectiles and attacks with jumps and dashes. It took me 4 or 5 deaths before I understood all the attacks, but I was then able to defeat the boss. I scored a new submarine ability that lets me explore underwater.

I love how Xeodrifter looks, it has an amazing art style. However, I'm kind of lost in it now, I'm not sure where to go anymore and I feel like maybe I'm missing something.