November 1, 2015

Super Mario Land

Date played: October 31st
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I bought, started, played and finished Super Mario Land!

This is one of the few mainline Mario games that I've never played before, so I bought it on the 3DS virtual console. It's a Gameboy game from 1989 and boy, it is a weird fucking game! The first thing I noticed was the weird graphics style. I mean, it looks like Mario, but because of the Gameboy's limitations, everything is slightly deformed.  Koopas look anorexic, stars and mushrooms lose all their personality and blocks look 10 times smaller than in the other games.

It's very short, having only 4 worlds of 3 levels each, but there's a lot of original stuff in there. The music is really good too, since it's completely original and doesn't lean on the well known themes of the series. There are boss fights also, none of which feature Bowser or other regular enemies. There are even a few levels that are played as 2 side-scrolling shooters, similar to Defender or something. It was a nice change of pace. I liked what I played, but I just wish it had been a bit longer.