November 23, 2015

Fallout 4

Date played: November 22nd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

Holy fuck, I played a LOT of Fallout 4 yesterday...

Honestly, I played too much to even talk about everything I did, but a few things did stand out. For example, I found the town of Goodneighbour. That place is even cooler than Diamond City, though it's smaller and less structured. It's basically a town of misfits, drug addicts and other people on the fringe of society. The town is run by a ghoul named Hancock, after the famous American.

There are tons of opportunities for work here. For example, I cleared out the Boston Library of attacking Super Mutants. In another mission, I entered the Combat Zone, a melee battle arena run by Raiders. I even got a new follower out of it, a rough young lady. I climbed a very tall tower, filled with deadly Super Mutants and managed to recruit an open minded Super Mutant to my ranks. I investigated a feral ghoul filled comic book shop. I used a weird memory den device hosted by a sultry woman and relived the moments where my husband was shot and my baby was taken inside the vault. I cleared out a chemical weapon research facility, filled with psychotic Raiders.

All of that was a ton of fun, and I picked up some nice upgrades along the way. For example, my hunting rifle is now fitted with a .50 caliber receiver, resulting in a lot more damage and a thunderous roar every time it fires. I upgraded my rifle skills, so that I have a good long range option in addition to my pistol expertise.

In all this time, nothing beat the amazing Silver Shroud quest line. A ghoul living in Goodneighbour asked me to retrieve a costume and some props for an old radio and TV show called the Silver Shroud. This cheesy hero protected the city with his machine gun, a slick trench-coat, a badass hat and hideous, cliche dialogue.

This led me to a television studio infested with feral ghouls. I fought my way through, but the real fun here was reading the terminals as they told the story of how the show came to life, then lost it's soul to focus groups, actor's whims and script arguments... It was well written and entertaining to read. I picked up the costume and props, then headed back to town to give the ghoul his stuff.
The Silver Shroud gets the girl...
He had more plans for me though, and convinced me to "be" the Silver Shroud in Goodneighbour. I listened to radio signals to get my assignments, put on the Hollywood gear and doled out justice. I even used the amazing dialogue options that let me say things "as the Shroud". My character used a little accent and stayed in character at all times. Shit, I even flirted with the beautiful singer at The Third Rail, the local bar. Enough that I brought her back to my room at the hotel for the night...