November 17, 2015

Fallout 4

Date played: November 16th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I reached Diamond City, the jewel of the Commonwealth!

In the whole time I played, maybe 2 hours or so, I didn't fight a single enemy. I met some interesting characters and explored the first few sections of the city. I met Piper, a woman who fills the role of "reporter" in the wasteland. I also met the town's mayor.

There's definitely some weird shit going on. I learned about the Institute and it's synthetics, or "Synths", as the residents call them. Basically, it's similar to themes seen in Blade Runner and the Alien movies, where robots become indistinguishable from humans. Apparently, there have been people that have gone missing very often, and the Diamond City authorities refuse to investigate further. The assumption is that the Institute is replacing humans with Synths. There's also suspicion that the Mayor is cooperating with the Institute.
Diamond City
I gave Piper and interview, and then she agreed to join me. I sent her back to my settlement and put her to work. I talked to the citizens in town, though I haven't been everywhere yet, since this is easily the biggest city yet, and I doubt there will be a bigger one later in the game. Now, I know I've said this before, but Fallout 4 is fucking enormous. There is just soooooo much to do, it's really fucking awesome. I picked up a ton of new quests in the town and I can't wait to complete them, though I want to continue exploring the city first.

At level 19, my skills and perks have been progressing pretty well. I picked up the Local Leader level 2 perk, which lets me build shops in my settlement. So I built a big shack that I want to use as my shop hub. This took quite a while, as I even decorated with fun stuff like a Nuka-Cola machine, a Jukebox, some ceiling fans, lighting and other stuff. I powered the place, set up a simple trader shop and assigned a settler to it. I'm having a bit of trouble fitting the shops inside the building I built, so I might have to start over, but thankfully, wood and steel are plentiful, so it wouldn't be a big problem.