November 23, 2015

Yoshi's Woolly World

Date played: November 22nd
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 9/10

I had an urge to play a platformer, so I booted up Yoshi's Woolly World and played through a few levels, including the first world's boss and it's special stage. The first level I played was pretty tame, with nothing too crazy going on, until I entered a rainbow door and was transformed into a gargantuan, screen-filling Yoshi! He can just smash his way through everything as if it were butter. It was a very satisfying little sequence.
Giant Yoshi is fun to use!
The boss level featured a lot of swinging yarn balls that had to be used as platforms. There were some tricky jumps in this one, and the difficulty is definitely rising pretty quickly. This level featured the return of the little bouncy dudes with no arms, from the original Yoshi's Island. Those little fuckers are a bitch to deal with, but are also useful as a tool, since they can be jumped on to get to higher ground. My daughter calls them twins because they usually come in pairs... The boss was a giant version of these dudes. I simply had to avoid his attacks, hit him with eggs then gradually disrobe him by pulling at the fabric of his pants. Hilariously, once defeated, his face became crimson-red from shame, and he ran off.

I had managed to get all the flowers from all levels, so that unlocked the secret level. This thing was actually really difficult... I had to jump and flutter between rising and falling waterfalls through most of the level. I managed to clear it and get all the collectibles, but it wasn't easy. I played one level from the next world, a desert. I got to ride undulating sand dunes, transformed into a cool motorcycle and enjoyed the new visual style of the second world.