November 28, 2015

Rocket League Championship!

Date played: November 27th
Platform: PS4 / PC
Session fun rating: 10/10

WOW!

I hosted an amazing Rocket League championship at my house, taking full advantage of my gaming room. 11 people, 2 PS4's, 2 TV's, 6 controllers and hours of fun! We played Rocket League all night, doing 2 vs 2 mostly, each TV welcoming 2 players. I know there's 4 player split-screen, but having twice the screen size makes it so much easier to play.

We warmed up with a few matches, all of them really intense, then went into a 4 team round robin where each team got to play against every other team once. We gave 2 points for a win, 1 point for an overtime loss and no points for a loss. The top two teams would then duke it out in an epic finale. 3 of my brothers were here, so we split up the teams so that each would have one Allen brother and one friend. I was paired up with my friend Dre, who has a great playstyle that meshes well with mine.
This is the life baby. This is the life.

We lost our first match, but won the other two. We ended up with a three-way tie, so we made another round robin with each of the three remaining teams. We lost another match here, but we still got into the final match and won the tournament! In one of the matches, we were very close to elimination when we managed to score a tying goal with 8 seconds left on the clock! It was very exciting, and one of my brothers even decided to announce the match. You can watch part of it here!

In the semi-finals, our team had an incredible match where we won 8-0, completely dominating the other team. It was unusual because every other match was extremely close, with most games ending with only 1 or 2 goals difference. I gave out little prizes at the end, trophies and crowns for the first and second place teams.

We even took a little break to play a few rounds of Nidhogg, which proved very exciting as well. This was easily one of the most fun nights I've had in recent memory and I really hope to do it again sometime in the future. Nothing beats the excitement of playing video games with friends and family, in person.