November 21, 2015

Star Wars Battlefront

Date played: November 20th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

One of my brothers came over because he needed some help for a presentation next week. After we did that, watched a movie and ate delicious delivery chicken, we gave Star Wars Battlefront a whirl. I had pre-ordered the game, since it looked fucking awesome, and I recently spent a lot of time playing the beta so I knew I was going to enjoy myself, but it was even better than I expected.

We started by playing the tutorial. I let my bro do it since he never played before, then we plugged in a second controller and played the four training missions. We flew X-Wings in a canyon to fight TIE fighters, raced through the forest moon of Endor on speeder bikes, piloted AT-ST's for the Empire and finally, we destroyed our enemies while playing as Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine.

Now, I know I've said this in previous posts, but Battlefront is one of the best looking video games I've ever played, no question. It looks absolutely stunning and runs at a very smooth frame rate. It is a modern technical marvel! It also sounds wonderful, with all the familiar Star Wars sounds well represented.

After the training missions, we tried out the game's survival mode. There are 4 planets in the game, Tattoine, Sullust, the forest moon of Endor and Hoth, each with it's version of the survival mode. We faced 15 waves of increasingly difficult enemies on Sullust. It wasn't easy... we fought dozens of Stormtroopers, some were even equipped with jetpacks, stealth tech, shields and grenades. We also faced a few AT-ST's and TIE fighters. We survived, barely, but we survived. It was lots of fun playing with my brother in co-op.
Darth Vader
When my brother left, I tried out two multiplayer modes, Blast and Supremacy. Supremacy is a very cool 20 vs 20 mode. There are vehicles, heroes like Luke and Vader and lots and lots of action. The objective is to capture 5 control points sequentially, similar to some modes that were in older Call of Duty and Battlefield games.

In my first game, I absolutely destroyed everything in my path, completing the match in second place on my team with 38 kills and 17 deaths. I even got a chance to play as Darth Vader. I flanked the opposing team with him and caught about 5 Rebels by surprise. I then killed a few more by attacking head on. I was really fun to play this mode, I'll definitely come back to it.

Blast wasn't as much fun. It's just basic team deathmatch, but I found that the spawns were kind of weird and it was often difficult to figure out where the action was. The fight was on the forest moon of Endor, so the massive foliage also made it harder to get my bearings and learn the map. I'm sure I'll do better once I learn the map, but I struggled to get kills here.