June 10, 2014

Watch Dogs

Date played: June 8th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played a ton of side missions and activities in Watch Dogs, clearing out the first two areas. There's actually a lot of variety with these things. There's a weird drinking contest mini-game where I must hold one or both of the analog sticks inside a circle while it wobbles around as if I was drunk. There's a fun chess mini-game, though it doesn't play like chess at all. There's a street game where a man shuffles cups with a ball in it and I had to pick out the right cup. I ended up cheating for this one by pausing the game and looking for the outline of the ball from the pause menu. I wouldn't have bothered normally, but it gave an EXP bonus reward...

The game also has a bunch of odd AR missions where an outlandish overlay drops onto Chicago. I played two of them, one being an obstacle course with coins to collect within a time limit, the other a wave based alien shooter. It's a nice distraction and it looks really cool. I visited a dozen hot spots too. Finally, I played a LONG game of Texas Hold'em poker against three dudes in a basement. The twist is that there was a camera nearby that I could hack and sometimes see the other players cards. It wasn't as useful as it sounds, but was really fun.

Every once in a while, I would encounter a crime in progress and would stop it to raise my reputation among the common folks. Also, I completed quite a few "Fixer" missions, basically a point to point drive, either escaping from the police or trying to bring an undamaged vehicle to the spot. I even tried an event against a player on the ctOS mobile app. They must stop me from reaching my destination by hacking the environment and sending cop cars my way. I won both events. Yeah.
Cameras in poker rooms are a bad idea
Finally, I played a bit of the story. Aiden went to visit his sister Nicole and her son for the kid's birthday. It's obvious that Nicole doesn't approve of Aiden's hacking life, but was still happy to see him. After a bit of conversation, she receives a mysterious prank call threatening her and her child. Of course, Aiden hacks her phone, listens to the conversation and finds a way to track the guy down. I chased him and killed him, but didn't get much info on why he was doing that. As a nice little touch, the kid was playing a game on his tablet during the scene. If you look closely, you'll notice that he's playing Child of Light!