June 28, 2014

Bravely Default

Date played: June 28th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 7/10

I was in the mood for a real RPG, so Bravely Default felt like a good choice. It had good reviews, good buzz and has been compared to the older Final Fantasy games, so I bought it. I barely played it today, but I played enough to know I'm going to like it.

Tiz Arrior
The game starts with an interesting AR based cut scene. Essentially, some beautiful girl pleads for help, seemingly talking to the player. Darkness is about to engulf the kingdom (surprise!) and an unlikely band of heroes must save it. They are quickly presented via cut scenes, but I was given control of Tiz, a young sheep herder who was the only survivor from a huge earthquake or something, it wasn't clear.

I explored the first town, bought a few pieces of armor and met the king. Tiz will try to save his kingdom, but the king can't be bothered to provide any help at all. When I left town, I was thrown into the world map where I got a few basic tutorials. The combat system is very traditional, but has a twist. Basically, I can choose to "Brave" or "Default", hence the title. Brave lets the player use turns in advance, while default lets the player bank turns. It makes for a really cool system with a huge risk/reward mechanic. That's about all I saw of the game, but I like what I've seen so far.