June 12, 2014

Child of Light

Date played: June 11th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played through the area just above sea level, building up EXP by fighting tons of monsters. I found a shrine of sorts that had me solve a little puzzle. I had to gather three pillars by dragging them around, then use Igniculus's glow to cast a shadow that aligns with symbols on the wall. That's when the sea-people eating giant showed up and fought me.

Battle against the parent-eating giant!
I find that mainly using support abilities for one party member and damage dealing for the other works best. For example, I will start a fight like this by casting a slowing spell on the boss with Robert, then boosting up Aurora with her damage enhancing spell. I use Tristis to hasten Aurora and use Oengus to tank while our heroine does most of the killing. It works well generally, though of course every battle is different.

The 10 year old green sea person, Gen, had to know that her parents had been eaten by the giant, so I went back to see her and gave her the bad news. She was sad, but decided to fight evil with us and joined the party. She has some cool abilities, my favorite of which is a very effective, but very expensive paralyse spell. Hell, it can stop an entire enemy party from moving for a full 10 seconds, which is incredibly powerful. We will now be able to explore the underwater area since the giant isn't in the way anymore.