June 1, 2014

Mario Kart 8

Date played: May 31st
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played quite a few Grand Prix's as I'm trying to unlock all the modes and characters. I managed to win all the cups in the 150cc class, the fastest in the game. I used a wide variety of characters including Toad, Waluigi, Baby Mario and even my Mii. Honestly, the character sets the baseline for the kart's stats, but it's the kart customization that really makes the biggest difference. I tend to favor high speed karts which usually mean heavy weight as well. I typically don't have a lot of acceleration and medium traction and handling. This means I do well when I can follow a racing line, but it's harder for me to get out of an item filled middle of the pack situation.
It's-a-me, Mii!
I'm starting to discover small shortcuts and alternate routes and am starting to know the courses pretty well. As if on cue, I unlocked the mirror cups, which should add a bit of difficulty. I only have one character left to unlock (Rosalina I think?), so once I unlock her and complete the mirror cups, I will focus more on the online mode.