June 14, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Date played: June 13th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 7/10

Link braved the forest and rescued Tetra, the stranded pirate lady, from the first enemies in the game. There was a bit of simple platforming, then a few simple battles against some goblin-like creatures. After saving Tetra, the giant bird thing kidnapped Link's sister Aryll. Link convinced Tetra and her pirates to give him a ride to the Forbidden Fortress where they think she is being held. I grabbed my shield and hopped in the vessel. I was tasked with navigating the galley by swinging across gaps with ropes.

The adventure begins!
When we reached the fortress, the only way we could figure out to reach it was to launch Link with a catapult. While it worked and was fucking hilarious, Link lost his sword along the way. I had to navigate the fortress in the dark while avoiding most guards and find my sword. I remember this part being a lot harder than it was... I quickly took out the spotlights, avoided pig-like enemies and recovered my sword. When I reached my sister's cage, the bird swooped in, grabbed Link and threw him in the ocean.

That's when I met the iconic King of the Red Lions, Link's boat. The talking piece of floating wood has no sail though, so I must explore nearby Windfall Island to find one. I visited Windfall a bit, talking to villagers and gathering rupees. I also played and won a mini-game that plays like a simplified Battleship and got my first piece of heart!