June 22, 2014

Child of Light

Date played: June 22nd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I finished Child of Light!

It was an amazing, charming, beautiful and challenging RPG. I played through the last portion of the game which flew by too quickly... After a short puzzle, I was confronted with Aurora's sister. Since the sister is a betraying, scared bitch, she locked us in a room filled with poison that drains HP. I fought a bunch of enemies, got some treasure and made my way out of the room through a gauntlet of spiked machinery.

We caught up to Nora and fought her. She transformed into a huge dragon monster with two tentacles. I killed the tentacles first, then attacked the head. This was definitely one of the hardest fights in the game. I'm playing on hard and it shows. I had to use every trick in my repertoire to survive, let alone kill the boss. I relied on buffing Aurora and putting slowing and paralyse spells on the enemy. I pull out Rubella to heal and Robert to add damage if things are going well.

Aurora is one of the bravest, most interesting video game characters ever
When she was defeated, I was finally face to face with the dark queen. She revealed that Aurora's father had now died. Aurora's crown disappeared and she was knocked out by the dark queen's spells. The heroine was then lifted into the sky and dropped onto the Sun's altar, left for dead. Then, miraculously, Aurora's mother appeared and helped her get back on her feet, gave her a new outfit and crown and encouraged her to go fight the dark queen head on.

I fought the evil lady and defeated her. It was another difficult battle, requiring more than a fair share of potions to survive. The queen took the form of an evil dark dragon and was flanked by two powerful owls. After a solid 15 minutes of fighting, she went down.

The ending was really good and touching. Aurora is so fucking brave and has such beautiful convictions, she really deserves the best. The real world was flooded and Aurora brought back everyone to the Lemurian kingdom, saving the world. She liberated the world, but refused to rule. Paired with the music, the ending was incredibly powerful.

Child of Light strung a chord with me. It's the best game I've played this year and now has a special spot in my gaming heart. Thanks Ubisoft!