June 5, 2014

OG Xbox special!

The original!
Date played: June 4th
Platform: Xbox
Session fun rating: 7/10

I have an original Xbox! A friend of mine was trying to get rid of it, so I got a really good price and a ton of good games with it. I used to have one, but sold it to buy a 360 back in 2005. I remember enjoying it a lot, even if I preferred my PS2 and Gamecube. I played a little bit with it, but only tried three games. I started with SSX 3 which still plays beautifully. I had a good time with the first few events, though it's weird using the Dpad to set up rotations.

Next I tried Spider-Man 2. This is a game that was revolutionary when it came out, as it featured a huge open world and fun web swinging mechanics. Unfortunately, it feels old. It's a genre that has become so much better in the last generation that this feels prehistoric compared to modern open world games.

Finally, I popped in Soul Calibur 2, which of course, is still fucking amazing. In fact, I've loved every Soul Calibur game I've played. I think that the rhythm is what makes this series great. Astaroth served me well as I completed the arcade mode with him and unlocked a couple of things. I look forward to trying some of the other games in the pack, including cool stuff like Metal Arms and Kill Switch.