September 9, 2013

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team

Date played: September 8th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 10/10

Whew, this game certainly changed gears at the end of the desert! I made my way through a gigantic dream sequence to finalize the desert dungeon. Dreamy Luigi (giggle) learned a few new tricks along the way. The tower Luigi can now squish to squeeze through tight areas and can jump really high after said squishing. It helps navigate more complex levels. He can also use the tower in battle now, which I only tried once and didn't quite get the hang of. I'm sure after a few tries, I will nail it though.

After all this non-sense, the brothers fought a GIANT ROBOT OF DEATH! The combat system gets completely flipped on it's head for 10 minutes as Luigi gets pumped up and becomes absolutely gigantic, an ability triggered by hitting his hat a bunch of times as he's sleeping. Yeah, it's absurd, but it's fun! I then battled the giant robot of death by holding the 3DS on it's side, like Brain Age, and using the stylus to perform motion based jumps, hammer hits and counter attacks. This is easily where the game looked it's best graphically and it was really refreshing.

I LOVED this sequence!
After all that, the bros woke up and are heading to Mount Pajamaja, the location of the next...thing I need. To get there though, we had to sign up for a tour. The tour office is located far west of the desert so we travelled for a bit, finding hidden beans, shopping for new gear and beating up monsters along the way. We finally reached Wakeport, a tourist area filled with hotels, ancient ruin attractions, shops and the infamous tour office. I explored the city and found tons of interesting stuff, including a very cute fetch quest that had me talk to various characters, exchanging items until I had a special ring for a dude to propose to his girlfriend (she said yes!), who rewarded me with tons of items and a bean. I also found a jigsaw puzzle minigame that awards money. It's a nice little distraction that uses the touch screen. I'll be able to find more puzzles in the world by hitting secret "photo" blocks.

I finally made my way to the tour office, registered for the Mount Pajamaja tour, only to find out that the tour guide is missing! I'm now investigating his absence, we'll see where that takes us!