September 4, 2013

Magic 2014

Date played: September 3rd
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

I was watching a quick look of Hearthstone on Giant Bomb and seeing a trading card game in action reminded me that I had a good time playing Magic in the past. It's also a game that is easy to play with a controller and is very relaxing. I played a portion of the tutorial, though I know how to play Magic pretty well, then cleared the first area of the campaign. There are a ton of modes in here, but the campaign seemed like the easiest way to unlock some cards pretty quickly.
Magic is fun!

The first section had me go through three set battles. These scenarios are interesting because the opponent ALWAYS gets and plays the same cards, they don't get a real draw. I had to replay a two of the three many times to get it just right. One was a deck full of small white creatures that give each other bonuses while the other was a zombie deck. The zombies were particularly difficult to beat for me because they quickly expand into a impossible army of 2/2 creatures. The trick was taking him out early. I've been using the supplied green deck, a slow but very powerful set of cards. I had to rely on low mana creatures then big buffs to make it through. I want to play online too but I have a feeling I will get decimated...