September 13, 2013

Call of Duty Black Ops 2

Date played: September 13th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 8/10

Steam has a free Black Ops 2 multiplayer weekend, so I figured I would give my rig a chance to show what it can do with a game I know and love. It turns out, my gaming laptop clearly outperforms the PS3. The resolution is better, the textures are cleaner, the effects are prettier and it's still a great game. However, in my dozen matches on PC, I noticed a major difference.

Auto-aim.

On PS3 and 360, there is a serious amount of auto-aim going on. While it definitely doesn't aim for the player, it's strong enough that it helps track your target. On PC, I was playing with the controller as well, but auto-aim is not available at all. I stood my ground against keyboard and mouse users for sure, in fact, I still managed to get the top score in one of my matches, but it's very difficult to change my muscle memory (we're talking 5+ years of console COD here) so that I was aiming without the tracking assistance effectively. I'm sure with a few more hours under my belt, I would get used to it but as it stands, I prefer playing on the console.