September 13, 2013

Dead Space 3

Date played: September 13th
Platform: PS3
Session fun rating: 8/10

I haven't touched this game in seven months, but today I felt like booting it up again. I played through chapters 5 and 6, including a lengthy side quest. I spent a lot of time just shooting creatures of course, as Isaac is trying to find a way for him and his travel buddies to get down to the planet from the makeshift spaceship graveyard they are stranded in. I activated a sort of train transport on the large ship I was exploring, which eventually led me to a damaged shuttle.

Along the way, I fought some invincible enemies again. While I could slow them down with stasis and limb mutilation, they are still a pain in the ass. In fact, it was the worst part of my time with the game today. In all three games, these types of enemies have been present while it was kind of novel in the first game, it's simply become annoying at this point.
Fuck you Mr Edwards, fuck you.

Before reaching the shuttle, I made a little stop along the way to investigate a nearby comm tower in the hopes of finding supplies. This side quest was very cool as I gathered clues about the downfall of the staff who used to work there, before they were eaten and stuff. One man, Edwards, survived long enough to set up an extensive network of booby traps in the facility. His voice can be heard taunting Isaac the whole time. After destroying dozens of creatures and traps, I found his control room. Of course, he was dead. The voice on the radio was only a recording... Having played Bioshock Infinite recently, I fully expected to find Edwards in the room, as in that game, the voice is always seen in the end. I made out of there with tons of loot, upgraded equipment and a hope that the shuttle can be repaired.