September 8, 2013

LittleBigPlanet PSVita

I love the touch gun
Date played: September 7th
Platform: Vita
Session fun rating: 10/10

Wow, this game keeps surprising me! It's more fun than I expected, it's prettier than I expected, it uses the Vita features better than anything else I've played on it and it's just a joy to play. I played through the second world, populated by gears, old machines and a mysterious pink slime that kills Sackboy on contact. At first, I had to completely avoid the sticky pink stuff, but soon enough, I was given a weapon that can destroy it. Interestingly, the projectile is controlled with the touch screen. That means I had to guide it through dangerous areas to build bridges and other things. At the end of the world, there was a special level where Sackboy rides a sort of firefly. Again, Vita trickery comes into play here as the creature is controlled with the back touch pad. The touch pad isn't the most intuitive feature to use, it's been botched in many games, however, it worked really well here. I think part of that is how they designed the level so that it's not too frustrating to navigate.

The next world has a retro tech vibe, featuring decor filled with VHS tapes, record players and other old school devices. The newest addition to Sackboy's asenal is the grapple, my favorite part of LBP2. It works well here and adds some interesting mechanics to the levels. The difficulty is ramping up too, there are more opportunities for death all around. I fucking love this game.