August 19, 2017

Splatoon 2

Date played: August 18th
Platform: Switch

At my daughter's request, I played a few rounds of Splatoon 2 yesterday afternoon. I only played a couple of quick rounds before she asked that we check out what's in the grate in the main hub. I knew this was where the single player levels were, but I played dumb and went in anyway.

I had a lot of fun with the single player levels, playing a boss level and three two normal ones. The boss was really funny, as it was basically a giant toaster of sorts, possessed by an evil tentacle, spitting out purple paint from it's toasting orifices to attack me. Yep, this game is crazy sometimes! I had to avoid paint attacks, then paint myself a little route to the toaster's summit. This was all done during a short time window, so I messed up a few times before succeeding.
This toaster boss is.... toast!

With the boss defeated, I was sent to a new world with a new series of levels. The two levels I played there were both pretty cool. One of them was particularly fun since it took a page from Ratchet and Clank's book, featuring some great "grinding-on-rails-while-shooting-at-shit" moments.

The single player levels are better than I was expecting. I'm also impressed by how well it teaches different ways to use the core mechanics, which might actually improve my multiplayer skills...