August 8, 2017

Broken Age

Date played: August 7th
Platform: PS4

I love a good quiet game at the end of the night, and Broken Age's fantastic writing and fun characters has been filling that role expertly. I continued Vella's story as she entered the temple of the Dead Eye God, guarded by two fanatic kids. It was sort of a dead end, except I saw a slot for an oddly shaped receptacle.

I went back to Shellmound and managed to do a few new things. I found some driftwood by the shore, I got myself some perfume from the two bitch maidens and went back to see the lumberjack. I offered him the driftwood, which he promptly turned into a stool. Make no mistake, this is the kind of game that makes 4 or 5 jokes about "making a stool" in less than a minute. Short of South Park, there aren't many games with great, funny writing like this.

In one of my favorite dialogue scenes in the game so far, I hung a bucket on the talking tree's branch, near it's "mouth", then showed it the stool. Of course, the extremist tree assumed it had been made from one of it's living brethren, thanks to a solid fabrication by Vella. This disgusted the old tree so much that it vomited some sap into my bucket. I happily went back to town to give the substance to the mayor, who used it to finally complete construction of the Feast celebration area. This game is fucking nuts...
My favorite scene in the game so far
At the lumberjack's house, I also picked up a weird decoration. Upon further inspection, I found that it would fit in the weird temple room's oddly shaped hole. This precipitated an insane series of events... A guy came out of a secret room in the temple, and he claims he has been in cryogenic sleep for over 300 years. He says this temple is a spaceship, and that he will begin repairing it. Vella asks if there's any way he could help defeat Mog Chothra. The man agreed to help, and found a way to use the ship's power to create a powerful laser weapon that Vella would use to attack the monster, using a remote aiming device.

It was time to face the monster. My two bitchy maiden colleagues were eaten up rather quickly, but I fought back hard right away. Using the laser, I was able to damage Mog Chothra's tentacles. When he only had one left though, he would regenerate and would avoid attacks. I soon figured out I had to let myself get captured when the beast only had one tentacle left. I then used my ladder to force open it's disgusting mouth and shot the laser through it's body, killing it, or so I thought.

When Vella inspects the corpse, the game reveals one hell of a fucking plot twist! A person comes out of the orifice, and it's Shay! The two teenagers look at each other, confused, then Vella attacks Shay before any words could have been spoken... She trips, and somehow, makes a door close and seals her inside the ship/monster, leaving Shay in an alien world.

I was completely shocked at this revelation, it worked really well. But the game wasn't done with the surprises just yet. As Shay begins to explore the area around the ship, he finds his father, who had so far been represented by an oval monitor. This was all an illusion, and in fact, Shay's real father had been there the whole time, his face made to look like a computer monitor by visual trickery!

They discuss a bit, and it seems that Shay's mother may also be physically on board the ship. After an awkward, but useful conversation with the guy who was in cryo-sleep, the group gets to work to breach the ship's hull. When they exit, the ship is gone, along with Vella and the mother!

I spent a bit of time exploring the area as Shay. Carol, formerly known as C'rol back in cloud town, is looking for a hook for her work. Dad is trying to make a plaster to fix the cryo guy's ship hull, but he needs more calcium carbonate to get the ph balance right. The lumberjack changed his business to metal working. There's a ton of stuff happening, and a ton of puzzles to solve, so I can't wait to see where the story goes.