August 20, 2017

DOOM

Date played: August 19th
Platform: PS4

You know what's fucking great? Shooting and dismembering demons on Mars. That's fun. DOOM manages to nail something that is so important, yet so rare in video games. There's a now famous quote from one of the developers on the original Halo that I love:

"In Halo 1, there was maybe 30 seconds of fun that happened over and over and over and over again. And so, if you can get 30 seconds of fun, you can pretty much stretch that out to be an entire game."

Now, this doesn't mean there shouldn't be variety in video games. No, it just means that if you can nail that core mechanic down and make it fun to "shoot demons" or "lead an army" or "explore a world", etc. DOOM really gets this, and the core combat is so good, that I would play this game regardless of it's setting or graphics or story. It's all about that combat.

I completed one level and started the next one a little bit. The most interesting thing to happen was finding a rocket launcher! Yeah, a motherfucking rocket launcher! This thing is really fun to use, and just brutal... I love it.

I've been mainly using the shotgun and the assault rifle as my weapons of choice. The shotgun's explosive blast is fucking great and it's just a very versatile weapon. When I need something stronger though, the rocket launcher is a perfect fit. I'm not a huge fan of the plasma rifle, but it's been good for taking out minor enemies without wasting good ammo. Finally, I picked up another new weapon, the super shotgun. This thing is an old school, double-barreled shotgun that hits like a truck, but it's kind of slow and cumbersome. I have to try it out some more to see if I like it.
Olivia Pierce loves demons

There's been some cool story stuff happening in the background too. I met a woman named Olivia Pierce, who I think is kind of a cult leader. She is definitely Samuel Hayden's enemy and they are working towards different goals. Olivia wants to open the portal to hell and let the demons take over, while Samuel just wants to harness demonic energy for profit. Meanwhile, the hero, Doomguy, just wants to kill fucking demons. I now have to disable some filters in the next level, which will hinder both Olivia's and Samuel's plans.