August 1, 2017

Broken Age

Date played: July 30th
Platform: PS4

It seems like I always need at least one "slow" game to play, usually for late night gaming where I don't have a lot of energy or focus, but still want to have some gaming fun. Old school adventure games fit that description very well for me... I enjoy the silly humor, the fun characters and the stupid puzzles.

Broken Age is a modern adventure game, a rarity
Broken Age is kind of special though because it's a recent game, released in 2014, but it's also a game with very old mechanics. In fact, it plays almost exactly like Day of the Tentacle Remastered, which I recently completed. It has a weird history too, because it was the first big gaming success on Kickstarter, with the famous designer Tim Schafer at it's lead.

Thankfully, the game seems very good so far. It's a story split in two parts, each featuring it's own character. I decided to start with Shay's story. The boy (Young man? Teen?) seems to live in a highly advanced spaceship, constantly under supervision of a computer system. The computer itself acts like a mother to Shay, but she treats him like a baby still. It's immediately clear that Shay hates his life.

He seems to be alone on the ship. He eats cereal in the morning, with his overly friendly spoon talking the whole time. Then he sets out to complete "missions", like stopping a runaway train or helping some climbers dig themselves up from under and avalanche. The thing is, these are all fake scenarios cooked up by the ship's computer to keep Shay entertained or occupied.

I completed many of these little tasks, all of which were pretty funny. For example, I ate through the avalanche (of ice cream) by using my spoon. It's really clear that Shay needs some excitement in his life... In one of the "missions", I had to stop a runaway train by yelling at the nearby mountain to open it's mouth and use it's tongue as a bridge. To change things up a bit, I decided not to yell at the mountain. I failed the mission and was put on a work break by my overly protective computer.

That's when a mysterious wolf got in contact with me. The wolf explains that there is more to this life, that Shay is ready to start doing some real work. Overjoyed by the prospect of doing something useful, Shay cooperates quickly. The wolf gives him a key, then disappears.

That night, Shay woke up and walked around his futuristic room for a little while. I found a grate that could be opened by the key, but my silicon-based motherly figure just wouldn't have it. During my little missions, I managed to pick up a few helpful items, including a can of compressed air and an inflatable version of Shay. Of course, I combined the two items to pump up the fake Shay, then stuck it in the bed to fool my guardian.

It worked! I snuck out of my room through the opened grate and met with the wolf. Our job was to save some weird little creatures, floating out in space in various solar systems. The ship's navigation system is literally a weaving machine, and I must bring it star maps for it to weave, then transport us there.

There's definitely something fishy going on with the wolf... It's got some shifty responses, and I think it's just a person in a wolf costume. I wonder what's up with him?