August 6, 2017

Downwell

Date played: August 5th
Platform: PS4

Downwell is a small game that I got for free with PS+. I played it for about 5 minutes, then I had enough of it. Maybe I'm not getting it, but I found it way too hard to even see what's happening. This is a 2D game with only 3 colors, and it has very rough graphics. I think it's trying to look like an old Commodore or 2600 game, but honestly, it just looks rather lazy to me.
Charming, but I didn't like it

The idea here is that the little guy falls down a well forever, hence the title of the game, Downwell. It moves quickly and handles really well, and there's a hint of something really cool here. However, I got frustrated mostly because I had trouble seeing where my character was on screen. This is one of the few video games I've played that feels great, but that I abandon because the art style affects gameplay negatively. Too bad I guess.