August 30, 2017

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Date played: August 28th
Platform: Switch

My friend asked me to play a few rounds of Mario Kart 8, and we ended up playing two championships together. We started with a 6 race, 100cc grand prix, then a 4 race 150 cc grand prix, and it was all a lot of fun! My friend doesn't have as much experience as me, so I was often way ahead, but there are times where we had some hard fought battles.
I battle against my friend near some lovely heart-shaped cookies

One particular example stands out... I was playing as Rosalina, and my friend as Yoshi on Royal Raceway. This is an easy track, but it's also a very fast track, a perfect playground for my high speed drifting. I led the race the whole time, with impeccable drifting and many purple turbos. Still, at the very end of the race, my friend hit me with a bunch of red shells and caught up! We were neck and neck around the last corner, but my friend hit me with a green shell that bounced off the edge of the track. My friend won this race, and a couple of others, so it's really fun to have some competition!

The 150 cc event was fun too, since it's faster, but we used easy AI for that one, and we stuck to simpler tracks to make it easier. At the very end, I swapped to Lakitu, since I didn't need the speed and weight so much in this faster setting.