August 7, 2017

A Boy and His Blob

Date played: August 6th
Platform: PS4

I guess my daughter really liked this game because we spent a good hour playing it again yesterday afternoon. Things are definitely getting more difficult, with puzzles required more timing based actions than the first few levels. We reached the end of the first world, the quiet forest, and were confronted by a the game's first boss!

We fought against a giant, dark viper that made it's home on some electrical towers. The battle was kind of typical "3 hits and it's over", but since there's no combat abilities, I had to use my environment to defeat the dangerous beast. For example, I had to make the Blob into a hole when the snake dove in my direction, or making it hit it's head against the Blob in anvil form. The animation was wonderful during the battle, and the atmosphere was really dark, especially compared to the rest of the game.
The game's first boss was amazing!

I don't think I was expecting this game to be so big, as this turned out to be the first of 4 worlds. The second world comes with a new hub world, and it seems to be the boy's real home. The setting is different too, as we exit the forest and go into the heart of the city. The change in art style is very welcome and full of new surprises.

The levels are way more complex now too, as I have access to pretty much every Blob transformation for each level. I also gained a new ability, but I'm not sure I like it. basically, the Blob can transform into a inflatable bouncy ball that the boy can ride on. This allows him to bounce higher than his jump allows. The ball also floats, so it's a great way to navigate through water. It's a little but frustrating to control though, and I went through some segments where I died often thanks to the controls.

There's a lot of game left here, and I just hope I can continue to successfully solve the game's tricky puzzles.